The Humane Society was first incorporated on March 26th, 1957 as the Playground Humane Society PAWS. We have played a key role in the field of animal care and control in Northwest Florida for over forty-five years. Our first facility was a small building in Valparaiso, Florida. In 1986, the shelter was renamed the Panhandle Animal Welfare Society, affectionately known as PAWS. Today, we serve over 160,000 residents in Okaloosa County and surrounding communities.
PAWS is a private, non-profit organization that presently handles more than 7,000 animals annually. The vet clinic is now in its seventeenth year and has been an enormous success! Since the opening in January 1995, the clinic has sterilized over 48,000 animals. The Panhandle Animal Welfare Society is a private, nonprofit organization dedicated to the welfare of animals.